Sunday 2 July 2017

Rotary Young Writer Competition - 3rd Place - Chloe

Hello, my name is Katie. I would like to share with you how I became grateful for my home and surroundings. On a Sunday morning a few months ago, I felt very tired and a bit lazy: I didn’t want to get out of bed, I snapped at Mum when she woke me up and threw my bed cover right back over my head... It was to be my first day of doing chores so I could get some pock et money, and I was a bit grumpy about having to earn my pocket money. As I finally crawled out of bed and stumbled down the stairs, I was so deep in self - pity that I didn’t notice the delicious smell of warm vanilla cake which Mum had woken up early to ba ke. I grumpily asked Dad for breakfast, then climbed back upstairs to get dressed, brush my teeth and get started. Once ready, I asked Mum what my chore was: I had to dry up the dishes that Mum washed. And there were a few items to clean after all that ca ke mixing! After about ten minutes of dull drying up, something shiny caught the corner of my eye: I turned slightly to see what it was when, right in front of me, appeared the beauty of a glossy, clear bubble escaping from the washing up bowl. Light streaming through the kitchen window reflected on the surface of the bubble to create the brightest rainbow that had ever existed, the prettiest I’d seen in my life. (Well, the prettiest thing I had actually paid attention to.) Only a few seconds later, I realised that the rainbow was reflecting all over the room. Standing in awe, I slowly, carefully reached my hand forward to touch the marvellous, shining surface. All was silent except for a gentle POP! Suddenly I was falling deep, down into a dark, dark hole. When I finally dared to reopen my eyes, I saw the most extraordinary place in existence: a world of magic, a world of wonder, a world of ... reflection. I explored around the mystical place and visited Reflection River and Bubble Bathtub. I played with the fragile, mystical winged creatures and excitement filled my heart as it had never done before. The magnificent rainbow colours and peaceful atmosphere made me feel safe, special and joyful until worries about how to get back to the real world curled up in side my tummy. Gradually, I realised how much I missed the comforting presence of my family, friends, home, routines and even my chores! I came to miss and appreciate the littlest things in life. I reflected on how I had behaved, especially with the people who care the most about me and thought of how I could make it better... Suddenly, before I knew it, I was back home drying the dishes! That’s when it all made sense: somehow, escaping to this very special place made me realise how lucky I am, how much I love my life and how every little thing matters. So here I was, back in our kitchen, cherishing the fresh smell of warm vanilla cake. Just then, Mum and Dad called me for a slice of cake, a cool glass of milk and a big hug!

No comments:

Post a Comment